Wednesday 30 May 2012

Vicky's run

We are hugely grateful to all the people who have entered sponsored events for us recently. There seems to have been a marked increase since last year, a sign that more and more people are noticing BRACE and wanting to support our work.

One of the most recent runners was Vicky Ledbury. Vicky had already run for BRACE in the 2011 London Marathon but wanted to carry on supporting us. She entered the BUPA 10k last weekend, a shorter run which used part of the planned route for the Olympic Marathon.

I asked Vicky if she could tell us something of her experience, and this is what she wrote:

“I was honoured to be able to run the BUPA London 10k on Sunday 27th May to raise money for BRACE.  I wanted to be able to support the work that BRACE does as my father in law was badly affected by dementia in the last months of his life, and it had a profound effect on our family.

“It was a scorching hot day in London, and was described by some as like running in an oven.  They weren’t far wrong!  It is a great event, and gave me the opportunity to do some sightseeing as well as some exercise!  The last event I’d done in London (also for BRACE) was also a very hot day so Joe must have been watching down on me to make sure I was earning every penny of sponsorship!  Thinking of him, and knowing that the money is going to such a fantastic cause, kept me going all the way round.  Even though I was slower than I hoped it was a great feeling to cross the finishing line and look up at Buckingham Palace.  I also got to cheer on Mo Farah on his way to winning the race and that was a real highlight!”

Many thanks, Vicky, for your determination to support BRACE in this way and for the money you raised on Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment